The way residents set out waste for collection is changing.
Based on the results of the solid waste management survey conducted in the fall of 2020, and the time spent talking to residents in Grassy Lake, the Municipal District of Taber has decided on the most appropriate option that is scheduled to begin Friday, February 12, 2021.
Green For Life (GFL) has been contracted to deliver automated waste collection services for the residents of Grassy Lake. Those with a 2020 utility account will receive one (95 gallon / 360 litre) rollout cart at no additional cost. The carts are the property of the Municipal District of Taber and will receive a serial number assigned to your property address. If you sell your property or move, the cart must remain with the property.
This new service will continue every subsequent Friday to residents at the same low cost of $11.00 /month. The large blue, solid waste bins along the highway will be removed, but the organics and recycling trailers will remain. Learn more about Hamlet Utilities and Service Fees.
Your new collection service is scheduled to begin FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2021 and will continue weekly every subsequent Friday.
Carts should be placed facing the street (cartwheels facing the home) with lids closed. Carts should be placed upright on level ground (not on a platform, sidewalk, or any other structure). Proper set out allows the automated trucks to collect the carts and place them back down as neatly as possible. Please remove carts from the street at your earliest convenience after they have been emptied.
- Be sure to set your carts out by 7:00 AM on collection day.
- A minimum clearance of 1 m (3 ft) from fences, cars and other obstructions, and 3 m (10 ft) from any overhead obstructions is required.
- Cart contents must not exceed 220 lbs.
- Overfilled carts will not be collected.
- Overfilled carts can spill items onto the street, which can attract birds and animals. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to make sure that waste materials are properly prepared for collection.
- Extra waste can be taken to the Grassy Lake Landfill on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm free of charge.
Most items can be placed loose or in garbage bags in the cart. Below lists items that DO NOT go into the cart:
- Liquid wastes
- Chemical containers
- Animal carcasses
- Loose wire
- Burning wastes
- Hazardous wastes
Damaged or Missing Carts
If your cart is missing or damaged, the homeowner is responsible for replacing at their expense. To purchase a replacement call the MD of Taber at 403-223-3541.
If you did not receive a cart for your property and would like to receive one, please call the MD of Taber at 403-223-3541.
How to Clean My Cart
If your cart needs cleaning you can rinse it with a hose and pour the water on the grass or gravel. If material gets stuck inside the cart, you can use a broom or shovel handle to loosen it.